permaculture - Re: [permaculture] repelling wolf spiders

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] repelling wolf spiders
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 17:40:50 -0700

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 23:57 -0500, mIEKAL aND wrote:
> spider migrations started last summer, hasn't started this
summer yet
> as far as I know.... it's the main headquarters for
Organic
> Valley... there's a couple pics of it here (of the building):

Do wolf spider migrations occur every summer? I've noticed
different breeds of spiders occur in waves here. Last year we
had black widows. This year we have a small-medium sized, hairy
black spider. I've been wondering whether these other spiders
are a predator of black widows and the population explosion last
year is being consumed by these new spiders.

This bears on your wolf spider issue because the hobo spider is
possibly poisonous spider that is known to be consumed by other
spiders. If your headquarters are in Washington State, you
might want to let your officemates know that the wolf spiders
might be eating other, less wanted guests.

-Toshio

P.S. I used a dilute tea tree oil mixture to keep black widows
out of my house last year. But I'm not sure if it repels
spiders or actually kills ones that cross over an area sprayed
with it. For a relatively harmless spider, I don't know that
I'd want to risk using something that might kill them.