permaculture - Re: [permaculture] food dryers?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Katey <newtribe@hughes.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] food dryers?
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 18:50:53 -0500

Of the two options, Gaiam/Real Goods and Ebay, you are better off financially on ebay. If you use the ebay tool effectively you will always get good good deals and usually buy from an individual or small business.

I just did a cursory search and there were lots of options (not knowing exactly what you are looking for). Don't bid on items you like unless the time is about up. Mark them "watch this item". Check your ebay account daily. You don't have to going searching for the items because they are right there in your 'watching' file - every item you want to keep an eye on. When time is short and the bidding has not exceeded what you want to pay then you can enter your bid. At this point you can also enter a maximum bid and your bids will increase as needed automatically. You don't have to stick around and get into competitive bidding. Don't think this means you will have to pay your highest bid, i have participated in many auctions and received the item for my initial bid or slightly more, it just depends on if others are wanting the item and actively pursuing it. If you see an item has a zealous bidder (read: novice bidder) you should probably move on. They will probably get the item and pay too much for it.

Ebay is a great place to support decentralized, home-based and small businesses. Yes, it takes a little time but there are several tricks of the trade that once you learn them this can be an efficient and inexpensive way to meet your needs.

Not an employee of ebay... really,
katey culver
ecoville architechs
www.earthandstraw.com

Lisa Rollens wrote:
I got one of those a few years ago at the Gaiam/Real Goods outlet store north of Cincinnati OH. You could check the Real Goods catalog. Even if not in their catalog, email them and ask if they still have a few lying around somewhere, but not enough for a catalog listing. Or, ask for the outlet store phone number. I routinely do that and usually get what I am looking for. Lisa, in the MO Ozarks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>

Hello All- I have used screens retrofitted to fit across the dowels of our wooden folding clothes dryers in the past, but lately I have really wanted one of those nifty five shelf hanging dryers, outfitted with screens for sprouting AND drying. I have only found it available, on ebay, and I am trying to find it somewhere I can buy outright or plans for something similar.....the original manufaturer seems to have stopped making them. Does anyone have one for sale or know where to find them where I am not required to bid competitively? Any information is GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!
Michelle in Virginia
SUSTAINABLE SCOTTSVILLE
Creating sustainable options right here at home:
www.sustainablescottsville.com