permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Microclimates

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tracy Dee Cook <tracydeecook@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Microclimates
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 09:33:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I live in a colder climate and have been
experimenting with season extension and microclimates
by utilizing medium dark rocks (approx. 1x2). I tried
to find angled rock face ~45 degrees and pointed that
angle towards the south/west to capture the most sun
during the day.

Many were longer and flatter (about 3-4 inches deep)
and burried about 1/2 of the rock back into the hill -
so that the heat capture in the front exposed face of
the rock would transfer heat back into the earthen
hill where the rock was burried.

It's worked well. Not dramatic - but good.

The snow melt patterns were dramatically different
around the rocks, and soil temperatures warm quicker
around the rocks and stay warmer into autumn.

Garden microclimate - This morning I just dug up
carrots that lasted through the winter - I had covered
them with about 3 inches of straw/hay.

The carrot tops sprung up green this spring a few
weeks ago. I was curious to see how the carrot root
was doing. They were surprisingly still crisp and
sweet and I had them for breakfast this morning! I
don't know if this is repeatable, but cool!

Beets that I similarly covered with straw I harvested
up through mid December. The straw kept the ground
from freezing as quickly. With the snow cover it was
beginning to be more difficult to find them, so I dug
them all up (but did get ~2 months of extra harvest
time)

My best!
Tracy

www.permaculturelife.com