permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Inquiry on CCD and native bees]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Inquiry on CCD and native bees]
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:50:54 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Inquiry on CCD and native bees
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:26:52 -0400
From: jcummins <jcummins@UWO.CA>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hello Stuart McMillan,
Thanks for the interesting question. Only one wild bee, the bumble bee,
has had much attention. That bee is in sharp , even catastrophic,
decline in Great Britain and in the USA. The main culprits implicated in
this decline include loss of habitat to herbicides, parasites (
especially Nosema) and of course pesticides. Bumble bees are not
solitary but certainly have smaller and more dispersed colonies than
honey bee.. They are known to use underground tunnels for colonies (but
not exclusively).
The seed treatment insecticides and fungicides are usually systemic so
they persist in above ground plant parts including flowers. The
neonicotinoid insecticides are also directly applied to soil for root
worm or in "refuge" to control soil pests.
In both honey and bumble bees the the neonicoitinoid pesticides and
Nosema fungal parasites produce similar behavioral changes. As well the
insecticides may depress the immune system as well as poisoning the
bee's nerves.The immune compromised bee bees may fall easy prey to the
fungal parasites.
There does not seem to be much in the way of publications on the status
of the native bees , unfortunately, nor is there much information on the
genetic structures of those bees.
Hope this helped answer your question. sincerely,joe
Stuart McMillan wrote:
Prof Cummings,
I was curious if you have come across and research or noted yourself whether there have been any signs of CCD in populations of native bees (I.e. non /Apis/ genus). I was particularly curious for ground nesting bees, that would likely be exposed to a much higher level of imidicloprid seed dressing and other seed and soil applied chemicals. I am curious if non-social groups of bees are affected equally to colony forming bees. I appreciate any suggestions you or other members of SANET may suggest on where to access this information or people who may be better able to answer the question.
Stuart