permaculture - [permaculture] NYC PDC course ($300) Sponsored by the NYC Parks Department

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] NYC PDC course ($300) Sponsored by the NYC Parks Department
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:31:16 -0700 (PDT)

About 20 students have signed up, so far. I bet we could fit 20 more into
the space we have.

http://green-phoenix.org/NYCCourses.htm

The location will be at Inwood Hill Park, site of the Peter Minuit bobble
exchange. The site was once refered to as Shorakapkok, meaning "edge of
river". The trees in this 200 acre park haven't been cut since the British
occupation around 1776 or so. There will be space for hands-on activity, so
don't be thrown by what might otherwise seem like an Urban specific offering.
Potential students in Northern NJ, Westchester county NY, and Orange county
NY should be able to reach this site within a half hour, as Manhattan is a
twenty four mile long island, placing us significantly upstate (one mile
north of the GW bridge and twenty-three south of the Tappan Zee).
Metro-North service to the Marble Hill stop is walking distance (swimmable,
if you are bold). The site is also accessible from the A train (207th/end of
line) or the 1 train (215th stop; walk up 218th to the Nature Center in the
park). There is a canoe dock next to the Nature Center, as well.

This course been in the planning stages for well over a year. Our first
attempt was cancelled, due to ... hard to explain. However, the result has
been Parks Department sponsorship and a very low cost of $300. The more that
attend, the more likely we will see more sponsorship.