permaculture - [permaculture] Wintergreen to get rid of Varroa Mites?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Wintergreen to get rid of Varroa Mites?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:34:36 +0000

Larry,

I was told years ago by a very elderly (In his 90s) lifelong FL beekeeper
that Wintergreen at the hive door will get rid of (As I recall he said it
would kill, but unfortunately I don't remember now for sure) the Varroa Mite.
He told me that the mites would not be a problem if beekeepers would do this.
I do not remember if he was talking about Wintergreen Essential Oil or
Wintergreen plant material or Wintergreen tea laying in a dish. Seems to me
the fresh plant might be the thing to try at a hive entrance.

I vaguely remember him saying something about 'the bees have to walk over the
wintergreen' and it gets rid of the mites. It was as if the bees *had* to
walk over the wintergreen to get into the hive. I seem to remember him saying
that the mites would be gone not too long after. He also said that the bees
'liked' the wintergreen, it was like they couldn't get enough of it or would
congregate at it or something. Then awhile later, the mites would be gone.

Beekeepers with a Varroa problem may wish to test this. Certainly the Varroa
will kill bees, maybe the Wintergreen won't.

I do not know if this will work or not from firsthand experience since I am
not a beekeeper, but I am passing this on to the list in case it helps
someone- If someone does try it and it helps, please feed back to the List.

Until I joined this list, I did not realize how little communication
apparently exists within the beekeeping community.

Regards,

Linda Ray

-------------- Original message from "Lawrence F. London, Jr."
<lfl@intrex.net>: --------------