permaculture - [permaculture] concentrations of bees and allergic reations

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Phil Chandler" <phil@apchosting.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] concentrations of bees and allergic reations
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:52:25 +0100

How many bees/beekeepers in one area? As many as it will comfortably support
without causing problems for other pollinators in the local ecosystem. That
varies according to local conditions.

True allergic reactions to bee stings are always life-threatening:
anaphylactic shock requires immediate treatment with adrenaline injection or
you die! If you just get localized swelling and itching, that's not an
allergic reaction - just normal response to a bee sting. The more you have -
within reason - the less the reaction.

If in doubt, carry an Epi-pen with you at all times - check with your doctor.

Best wishes,
Phil Chandler
www.biobees.com

>>This brings up a question. Well, as a complete novice the questions are
endless. It seems there should be more beekeepers in communities, but how
many? Can there be too many colonies in an area?

And, second, I have always been interested in bee-keeping, but I am allergic
to bee stings. My reactions up to now have been non-life-threatening, but
you never know. Should I stay completely away from bee-keeping, or does
anyone have experience or knowledge of others that keep bees anyway?

Thank you,
Rhonda Baird

  • [permaculture] concentrations of bees and allergic reations, Phil Chandler, 04/26/2007