permaculture - Re: [permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jedd <jedd@progsoc.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] frozen trees and baby steps to permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:48:39 +1000

On Thursday 26 April 2007 4:03 am, Diane Wilson wrote:
> But this freeze has gotten me wondering what, if anything, we can
> do to deal with future weather extremes.

This is a nice segue into a question about frost minimisation
that I've been meaning to put to the collective.

In the Designers' Manual, Bill talks about frost protection using
a method based on limiting the visibility of the sky (effectively)
at ground level. Page 120, Figure 5.13, for anyone reading along.

Now, I'm assuming this refers to certain types of frost - specifically
not the type that rolls like treacle down a hill. But for flat-ish
areas, the method described suggests you can ameliorate the effects
of a frost fairly easily, assuming you have some established evergreen
trees around.

So, the question is - have people done this and demonstrated the
degree of the effect? I'm in zone 9b (-4C, usually only dipping
to that temp very late in the morning, about 5am, and usually only
for an hour or so) and consequently I'm only in need of a subtle
shift in temperature change.

Diane et al - one approach Bill goes on to describe is to plant out
some frost-hardy legumes (he refers to A. dealbata - but I'm not sure
how well that specimen would cope in cold zone 6) followed by some
semi-hardy fruiting trees in their shelter. What kind of useful
evergreen tree you could subsequently plant on that site .. is left
as an exercise for the reader.

Jedd.