permaculture - [permaculture] Top bar beekeeping

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Top bar beekeeping
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:24:13 +0000

I saw the comments below on a caribbean list. I wouldn't mind "keeping" stingless bees. I would like to find out more about how I can help create a suitable habitat for them.

Charles
T&T

<<Indigenous stingless bees (Meliponinae) are losing ground to development. They need dense vegetation, since their foraging range is in the order of 100 metres from the hive, as opposed to 5km plus of European and africanized bees (Apininae). They are the natural pollinators of some neotropical crops such as vanilla orchids, Passiflora (passion/granadilla/pomme de liane), indigenous cucurbits (squash/pumpkins).

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.com/

  • [permaculture] Top bar beekeeping, Charles de Matas, 04/02/2007