permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Mysterious honeybee deaths drive honey prices higher - Mar. 29, 2007

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Mysterious honeybee deaths drive honey prices higher - Mar. 29, 2007
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:44:37 -0600

I learned that the smoke from the oil fires in the first Gulf Massacre killed all of Iraq's pollinators, necessitating the Oil for Food program. The US doesn't have oil to export and soon enough, apparently, will not have crops to export, either. Does anyone think that parasitic humans are going to get this wake-up call? If the pollinators only disappeared from the landscape as fast as they did between 1980 and 1996, they still would only have lasted until about 2035. Permaculture teaches symbiotic relations with nature, and when that is achieved, the pollinators may return to a friendly environment. All the research on CCD is designed to find the one thing that is causing it. There is only one "one cause:" human dominion, "the Christian axiom that nature has no reason to exist save to serve man," as Lynn White, jr. put it in 1967. Forty years later, an overwhelming majority of the US population does not get that. I fear it is going to get horribly ugly before it gets better and that's so incredibly sad. I called all kinds of folks in DC to try to get them to attend the hearing today and I traumatized too many of their phone answering people telling them why I wanted their bosses to send someone to the hearing. I figured out how to do it and heard the last part of the hearing, where the Rep. from North Carolina, I think, asked what were the consequences of bees disappearing from the landscape and the expert witness said it would be "catastrophic." The good Congressman changed the subject but that answer now goes in the Congressional Record. I beg each of you to talk with your elected reps about creating something on the order of a Pollinator Protection Act that makes it a federal crime to produce and sell any substance which damages bees beginning as soon as Dubya signs the Act into law, which he will have to do after even one percent of the population gets it about what CCD means and begins showering Congress with e-mails. I think the punishment for violating the Act might be the Corporate Death Penalty - forced dissolution of the business. If the feral pollinators had not crashed by 95%, there would have been no need to create the "pollination industry" whose imported domesticated honey bees are now crashing in CCD. If you are giving the feral pollinators a friendly environment to which to return, bless you. Please talk with your reps and give those who are slow learners and otherwise challenged in getting to symbiosis a bit more time to get there. Thank you.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
<http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/29/news/honeybees/index.htm?cnn=yes>

The mysterious deaths of the honeybees
Honeybee colony collapse drives price of honey higher and threatens fruit and
vegetable production.
By CNN's Amy Sahba
March 29 2007: 4:16 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Beekeepers throughout the United States have been losing between 50 and 90 percent of their honeybees over the past six months, perplexing scientists, driving honey prices higher and threatening fruit and vegetable production.

At a House Agricultural Subcommittee hearing in Washington, D.C. today, members of various organizations came together to share their concerns about what they have been calling the "Colony Collapse Disorder," or CCD.