permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Finger Lakes Permaculture Summer 2007 (Ithaca NY USA)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <darren@permaculture.biz>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: darren@permaculture.biz
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Finger Lakes Permaculture Summer 2007 (Ithaca NY USA)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:57:53 +0100

G'day,

I trust that this greets you and all well.

Just to clarify my surname is spelled DOHERTY not DOUGHERTY. Thanks to the
various anglicisations/bastardisations of my family name as part of Great
Britain's invasion of our homeland and the subsequent Irish diaspora perhaps
I should just go back to our Gaelic name ÓDochartaigh, the spelling of which
is much more difficult to pheonetically confuse...but then again....

The idea of reverting my surname back to the original Gaelic has played on
my mind for as long as I can remember. Certainly my recent visit (co
teaching a PDC) to the Parihaka Pa (www.parihaka.com) in the Taranaki region
of New Zealand only reinforced this, where most of the Maori there use their
traditional language and names - though many also use their "whitefella"
names in association. Given the strength of their culture, if I were them I
would just use my tradition name - my feeling is that, to generalise, half
the time people do not use their traditional names as many in the english
speaking world can't be bothered going to the apparent trouble of
remembering or respecting these names as the are apparently foreign-sounding
and doesn't fit with the Esperanto that English is becoming. Works both ways
and is an important aspect of respecting and sustaining cultures in my
opinion.

Yours and Growing,

Hooroo,

Darren ÓDochartaigh (Doherty)
www.permaculture.biz

"....Who so ever asks me of my birth...
I will tell them I am born of Irish Princes who ruled in Donegal
a thousand years ago; that I am descended from the High Kings of Ireland,
and my name is from the Clann ÓDochartaigh!...."