permaculture - Re: [permaculture] "sustainable ag" series for KBCS news

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Allen <thallen@nwlink.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] "sustainable ag" series for KBCS news
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:21:08 -0800

Thanks for the inquiry. See request for information below links.

Could you send us a link to these programs if they are downloadable?
I'd like to take a listen, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

KBCS main archive page:
http://kbcs.fm/site/PageServer?pagename=oneworldreport

Eventually I'll get all the programs on radio4all where its easier to navigate than on the KBCS pages.
radio4all.net
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=producer- info&uid=2968&nav=producer-directory&

Links to individual programs:

St. Patrick Watches Rome Fall
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20060316/ OWR_20060316_St_Patrick.mp3

Heinberg on Oil pt.s 2&3 - All 4 to be posted to radio4all shortly
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20060420/ OWR_20060420_PeakOil_TomAllen.mp3

http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20060427/ OWR_20060427_PeakOil_Part3_TomAllen.mp3

Oil for Food in America
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=program- info&program_id=21603&nav=producer-directory&

Costa Rican Coffee, Biodiesel & Permaculture
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20061116/ OWR_20061116_Permaculture_TA.mp3

Govt. Regs. Thwart Food Localization Efforts
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php?op=program- info&program_id=21773&nav=producer-directory&

What is Permaculture?
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20061228/ OWR_20061221_Permaculture_TA.mp3

Portland Stares Down Global Warming
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/kbcs/downloads/One_World_Report/OWR_20070208/ OWR_20070207_Why_Portland_TA.mp3

Request for Information
I want to do a story on the seed monopoly issue that cropped up on the list last week.

I'll air it next Thursday, Mar. 1, if I can get all the information together in time. I sent a query email to Grain asking for sources and had a couple of questions they might not be able to answer. Perhaps people on this list can help.

1. Will WTO imposed monopolies on seeds extend to heirlooms? Are they already controlled in UK and EU?

2. What will be the extent of the negative effects on seed savers and purveyors like Seed Savers Exchange or on Peace Seeds who propagate cultivars not normally in commercial channels?

3. Could the farm bill up for renewal in US Congress this year be used to block such action by WTO?

4. Is this a wish list or has the measure gotten real traction?

Also, have you gotten any feedback on the pieces, and have they
opened folks' minds?
I have gotten feedback on the programs and it has been universally positive with one exception--when I questioned the efficacy of biodiesel and ethanol as a solution to our motor fuel problem. That said, most of the feedback has been from activists working in the areas I've explored on the air. So, as with so many of us, I'm usually preaching to the choir. But then, the choir needs a pep talk now and again.

There is one group for whom the information is almost entirely new. Ironically, it's the station staff and other public affairs volunteers. They're mostly young....20s, early 30s and focused on social justice issues. They like to cover protests, demonstrations, urban gentrification, Lt. Watada's trial at Ft. Louis and the like.

In my view these stories are symptoms of a much larger structural problem, that is the global activities of international finance and corporations. Even what I do is covering symptoms to a degree but hopefully closer to the roots. I try to encourage solutions that get at the roots, cultivate the mycelium unseen at the surface and nurture the soil in which solutions can grow. That focus isn't lost on the choir I believe but may be too subtle for the rest. Hopefully, the choir will explain it to them.
Here are some links to my programs: