permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Landscape Architecture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Greg Moeser" <gregmoeser@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Landscape Architecture
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 21:15:48 +0000

Thanks for all the great replies!

What I would like to do I have heard best described as "ecological design." Using ecological concepts to develop places for human use that incorporate and respect the natural systems of the earth. So far, I have felt that the best way to go about this is to combine landscape architecture with environmental science training. A number of university programs seem to be heading in this direction already. Some examples of what I am talking about include green roofs, ecological restoration, and all kinds of water retention/filtration designs. I’d like to think there is a happy medium in between design and science.

With all this being said, I don't know if my strategy is the best way to go about this, and ultimately I will need to acquire the skills that will allow me to obtain an actual job, at least until I obtain certification and develop the other skills I need to start a professional practice. Several suggestions allude to "environmental planning" or "land use planning" but I honestly have a tough time pegging these terms down exactly, and what these positions entail in definitive terms, other than being regional as opposed to site based. It seems there are a number of landscape architects do work that falls somewhere in between.

So if you have any more input, I would love to hear it!