permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Landscape Architecture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Landscape Architecture
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:36:44 -0700

May be semantic but I don't think so... I don't know a scientists that complete quantitative studies on "ecosystems"...more typically we'd analyze bits and pieces, then through some elaborate conceptual model infer system behavior. Similarly there are many sources of quantitative research that can be used to analyze and infer the functions of bits and pieces of permaculture systems (between agriculture, forestry, restoration ecology, ecosystem research, vegetation ecology, and agroforestry journals). But quantitative research "on permaculture" is kind of tricky, as "permaculture" in the conversatinoal realm is a vague concept of convenience, half political, and science is interested more in things and what they are doing.
http://www.rngr.net/Publications/tpn/index_html?volno=on
http://ecologicalrestoration.info/backissues.asp
... and then there is that Bill Mollison guy, but I think he stopped doing research...

Regarding the MLA - i turned away from that path in favor of science training - no regrets -- I appreciate the analytical methods.
I think we ought to be careful to differentiate between professional certifications, skill sets, and a business models. "landscape architect" is pretty vague in terms of skill set and business model, and is primarily a professional certification. It is easy to be a LA and do permaculture, just like its easy to be a mechanic or a street sweeper and do permaculture... it is harder to develop a viable business model, and LA training likely will not give you a permaculture skill set, but it does give you skills that help you present complex ideas, like permaculture... I'd just be clear on what kind of specific contacts and skills you are expecting to get out of a MLA program and then carefully check to see if that 'ole ivory tower can deliver, or if you are after a business model... generate some business models and then determine the credentials necessary to implement in your market of interest.

MY QUESTION IS -- If you wanted a scientist to quantitatively test some hypothesis about permaculture, what exactly would it be?!

Paul Cereghino, Olympia, WA -- card carrying M.S.

Greg-

I've never met a stamp-carrying, M. L.Arch. degree-holding, practicing landscaper that uses Permaculture ideas full-time. It's regulated at the state level. In Illinois you need 8 years with an existing licensed Landscape Architecture firm before you can have your own stamp. In Illinois, at least, it's illegal to advertise yourself as "landscape architect" if you don't have a stamp. Other terms such as "landscape designer" and "landscaper" are unregulated here.

Similarly, I've never met a M.S. or Ph.D. holding scientist that does quantitative research on Permaculture. If they exist they don't publish.

I'd be delighted to hear of an exception.

Rob Scott
Urbana, IL