permaculture - Re: [permaculture] OT Linux and XP for Lawrence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] OT Linux and XP for Lawrence
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:19:16 -0400

jedd wrote:

I've already responded off-list to Lawrence, but this inspires
an on-list observation or two.

Kubuntu (also a derivative of Debian) is a parallel development
to Ubuntu, but using KDE ( http://www.kde.org ) instead. It's
worthy of a look-see. IMO, KDE's a superior desktop environment
to Gnome, but I recognise that this is the stuff of holy wars.

> Kubuntu information at:
> http://www.kubuntu.org/

I'm there now looking at an overnight download of Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
Beta, then after
taking inspiration from Graham and declaring "ain't a fit night out for man or
beast" and
"relentless onward" and doing a few special pagan encantations, will launch
into an install.

For anyone trying to 'wean yourselves' off a Win32 platform,
I strongly recommend that you avoid a dual-boot scenario.

I will try a temporary dual boot system at first but I do have a spare XP box
to intall it on.
How do I network it with 2 WinXP machines?

Dual-booting used to be necessary back in the last century, but
it's an expensive (time) and frustrating process, and you generally
end up favouring the default OS. For most people I'd expect that
would be the one they are comfortable with - ie, MS-Win variants.

I would like to have an email-ready Linux machine with the ability to connect
external hard drives
containing archives of email and text files using USB or Firewire; telnet and
ftp would also be nice.
How do I install applications like Procmail, mhonarc, Hypermail, Lynx, trn
and Pine?

Given that VMware now provide their Server product $-free, this
is a far more attractive proposition for those who want to make the
switch slowly. (Aside - try to reduce the period that you rely on
both platforms - even with a virtual machine architecture it's still
an expensive and time-consuming proposition maintaining two platforms
and switching between them.)

I would, of course, recommend running vmware on a GNU/Linux platform,
and then running your legacy Win32 apps within a virtual machine.
There are a number of reasons for this - including (BNLT) ultimately
just a matter of turning the vmware session off after you've weaned,
encourages that trend, the more secure platform should run as host
with less secure as guests, more robust platform should <ditto>, and
doubtless a few other good reasons exist.

I would rather have dedicated Win and Linux machines and network them for
file sharing. How
do I do this?

VMware server product available at:
http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Kubuntu information at:
http://www.kubuntu.org/

Graham wrote:
> Again I'm not a guru, but I'd really recommend Ubuntu linux. At the
> moment I'm still mainly using XP but have also installed Ubuntu as dual
> boot, and am trying to slowly wean myself off of Gill Bates' empire to
> Open Source. As I said I'm not a techie geek, but ubuntu strikes me as
> very user friendly... And it has Firefox as part of the install...

This is a strong recommendation. Thanks, Graham.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm