permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Teaching a pc design course

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pci@permaculture.org, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Teaching a pc design course
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:29:55 -0400

Scott Pittman wrote:

I have to agree with both Keith and Toby on the points they have made on teaching permaculture. In addition it seems to me that there are those who are really teachers and those who are not, no matter what they do.

And then there are those who with/without formal PC education
or curriculum structure who excel as practitioners in any of the
many facets of permaculture methodology who, while not necessarily being sure that they themselves are qualified to be "teachers" feel obligated to educate others or otherwise disseminate what they have learned and perfected;
the "been there, done that", the "I want to show you how to do this right the first time around" and the "I want you to benefit from my mistakes, my experience and my knowledge" approach to teaching. These people are not necessarily
"natural born teachers" or ones who excel at "inspiring others" but know their home turf and know how to transfer that knowledge and those skills to others accurately and effectively through their nuts-and-bolts teaching method or rote learning, like a musician who can teach another to play by ear.

Just a thought. Maybe this contributes positively to the discussion, maybe not, but I do not agree that those who excel as practitioners aren't necessarily good teachers, some maybe not but most are, I'd bet.

LL