permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Keyline system, raised beds, tractor implements & other pics of my farm, 4 acres in production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group <SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, Growing Small Farms <growingsmallfarms@lists.ncsu.edu>, triangle-carolinafarmstewards.org@lists.carolinafarmstewards.org, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Kai Vido <kaivido@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Keyline system, raised beds, tractor implements & other pics of my farm, 4 acres in production
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 22:29:15 -0400

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> Regarding the large production raised beds I use that I have written
> about in the past:
>
> Here are shots of raised beds on the 4 acres I have in vegetable
> production on my farm produced using a John Deere 3020 tractor, a
> Roll-A-Cone hiller-bedder, a Howard Rotavator, a tillage tool (spring
> shank cultivator)
> and a 3 bottom plow.

Here are a few shots of the Roll-A-Cone hiller-bedder in action creating
raised beds.
As this implement acts also as a disk harrow an disc plow it really helps
improve soil tilth
and pulls eroded topsoil from furrows back onto the beds. Much of the dirt on
the 4 acres I am improving
has changed in color from red to brown in less than two years from this tillage methode and plowing under a considerable amount of weeds plus some manure and rock dusts.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/farmpix/recent-Summer2006/hilling-bedding1.jpg
117KB
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/farmpix/recent-Summer2006/hilling-bedding2.jpg
118KB