permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Peak oil, ethanol production, energy production through waste recycing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Peak oil, ethanol production, energy production through waste recycing
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 07:39:12 -0500

Regarding Lawrence's comments about biodiesel and ethanol production in
Iowa....I learned in my required 7th grade conservation class in Iowa in
the sixties that 1/4th of the richest land in the world was in the Midwest,
esp. Illinois and (of course) Iowa. It disturbs my soul that so much of
this rich black dirt is used to grow fuel or to feed livestock. Doesn't
make sense. Maybe 3% of the corn grown in the Tall Corn State goes to feed
humans, not to mention the monoculture problem. Yes, politicians should
include and highlight the programs you mentioned, along with a nod to
biodiversity. Kathy