permaculture - [permaculture] developers cutting down old growth trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: J Kolenovsky <garden@hal-pc.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] developers cutting down old growth trees
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 00:41:27 -0500

What do you guys do or say in an urban situation like this? I was in another state nursing my wife in ICU for 2 months when this action happened.

A tear down 1 story sold behind us and the developer did the work. They took out an 80 foot Pecan tree that had probably been there since 1930's. The tree was 1 of 2 planted in that area of the block. It provided great cooling from the west afternoon sun. A neighbors wife ran out there and tried to stop the men and they said the tree is within 12 feet of the proposed new 2 story brick mansion (a 4000 sg. ft house on a 50' X 100' lot). They said that is city code. That's funny. The tree which was behind me looked like it had been on the rear easement for the past 45 years that I lived here and watched it grow. What a habitat loss. In the winter, many migratory birds would rest in it.
--
Look! Energy shortages prove its right:
Learn about Peak Oil changing your lifestyle:

  • [permaculture] developers cutting down old growth trees, J Kolenovsky, 06/01/2006