permaculture - Re: [permaculture] keeping cool

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hoog <livingpotentials@yahoo.com>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] keeping cool
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 04:15:19 -0700 (PDT)

kathy----i am into macrobiotics and i teach people how to adjust their
bodies to the climate or temperature outside. i generally eat a grain,bean
and vegetable based diet with some fish. with that in mind i generally
suggest for cooling :little or no animal food ,little or no cooking and if
you do -light styles like steaming,blanching, pressed salads,quick stir fry
etc.,less grain than normal and barley , long grain rice,and corn are best, i
often pressure cook grains but boil more in hot weather,----lots of
veggies----in oriental medecine there is a condition called internal dampness
which has different forms but is a buildup of mucous and can affect different
organs.---anyway if you create a lot of mucous with dairy, flour
products,sugar and a poor acid-alkaline balance inyour diet you create an
internal damp environment which makes you uncomfortable when the external
environment is damp or humid . even sweet fruits canmake you feel sticky
sometimes. i find that a
straight water and lemon juice helps to keep me cool. you can substitute
sumac or quince or something else sour. bitter foods also are cooling cold
beer may feel good going down but it creates a damp heat condition. cooked
fatty foods arent real good either for cooling.---the jist is this --ctreate
coolness inside and you should be able to adjust to your external environment
---every traditional culure knows these tricks.----steve

Kathy Evans <evansdk@earthlink.net> wrote: Hello all, Kathy in Missouri, new
to the list, thanks for the welcome
earlier. I am trying to reduce my "energy footprint" but I turn into wilted
lettuce when it's hot and humid not to mention I get very cranky. I would
like ideas for keeping the house cooler without a/c, given that I can't
afford to install new equipment at the moment, and/or for keeping myself
cool. I work at home. I take many brief cool showers. I've heard of putting
a bowl of ice in front of a fan but haven't tried it. Thanks, Kathy