permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wind barrier

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Janton <vonzu@frisurf.no>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wind barrier
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:49:17 +0200

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Vonzu wrote:

Hi, permaculturers.

I am currently trying to convert to a more self-sufficient state, and have
run in to some wind problems.

I live in southern Norway, in a small, glacier-created valley. The wind
speeds in our little valley can be quite high, and although it is nice to
uce for electricity generation, it is a problem in my garden. Work can
become difficult and unpleasant, kids have problems standing erect, and the
plants don't get the peace and quiet i would like them to have.

I have thought about constructing walls, but it is very costly and time
consuming to erect walls of sufficcient size.

What I would like the most, would be to plant some sturdy and fast growing
plants along the perimeter. I have limited knowledge about these things yet,
and have no clue as to which kind of plant I would benefit the most from
using.

I might mention that my garden is large enough to accomodate quite wide wind
barriers.

Can anyone recommend some "wally" plants to me?

Regards from Jan Anton Fjermestad

Hello Jan:

Could you describe the climatic conditions in your area, such as last frost
date,
lowest temperature reached in Winter and average rainfall? Also, what type of
soil do you have,
sandy, heavy clay, well/poorly drained, organic matter content and pH
comnditions?

I would think that any coniferous evergreens would be best suited for your
planting especially
such trees as cedar, spruce and hemlock. These are not particularly deep
rooted species and do prefer acidic soils.
Can oak, birch, maple and beech grow where you are?

Lawrence
central North Carolina

Hello, Lawrence.

I have tried to do my homework.
I hope the information below sheds some light on the conditions where we live.

CLIMATIC CONDITIONS

Medium temperature, July: 12-16 degC (24 hour average)
Medium temperature, January: 0-4 degC (24 hour average)

Growth season length: Approximately 200 days.

First snow (at +800 meter): 19. of November (we live at approx +50m)

Leaves appear on trees between 26. of April and 1. of May

Last frost date:
At present, I am not sure wether or not we have seen the last
frost-night this winter. Usually, we should be past the frost-period by
now, but this winter is a little die-hard.

Lowest temperature reached during winter:
During this winter, we reached approximately -12 degC, which is
considered very cold where we live. Although, we have expereinced as low
as -25 degC in extreme cold-periods.

Average rainfall:
Average rainfall per year is approx. 1270mm.
Maximum: 162mm in October
Minimum: 60mm in April

SOIL CONDITIONS:

Soil type:
I am not quite sure. Somewhat lean soil.

Drainage:
Drainage is good in our garden. It can sustain heavy rainfall over long
periods of time without becoming all 'muddy'. We have a well at the
bottom of our garden, and it delivers quite substantial amounts of water
even during very dry periods. Our garden is somewhat sloped, and I think
drainage water from areas above our garden runs below/through the soil
in our garden.

Organic matter content:
Low organic matter content.

pH conditions:
Neutral to slightly sour (drainage of manure from domestic animals).

PLANTS ALLREADY PRESENT:

Maple:
We have a huge maple in our garden, which i take as a proof that maple
grows where we live.

Grass:
Grass grows heavily in our garden during spring/summer/fall

Regards from Jan Anton, south-east Norway.