permaculture - [permaculture] Wind barrier

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Vonzu" <vonzu@frisurf.no>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Wind barrier
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:47:48 +0100

Hi, permaculturers.

I am currently trying to convert to a more self-sufficient state, and have
run in to some wind problems.

I live in southern Norway, in a small, glacier-created valley. The wind
speeds in our little valley can be quite high, and although it is nice to
uce for electricity generation, it is a problem in my garden. Work can
become difficult and unpleasant, kids have problems standing erect, and the
plants don't get the peace and quiet i would like them to have.

I have thought about constructing walls, but it is very costly and time
consuming to erect walls of sufficcient size.

What I would like the most, would be to plant some sturdy and fast growing
plants along the perimeter. I have limited knowledge about these things yet,
and have no clue as to which kind of plant I would benefit the most from
using.

I might mention that my garden is large enough to accomodate quite wide wind
barriers.

Can anyone recommend some "wally" plants to me?

Regards from Jan Anton Fjermestad