permaculture - [permaculture] Sea-buckthorn is not buckthorn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Sea-buckthorn is not buckthorn
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:30:40 -0800

On 3/24/06 5:10 PM, "Nanette Echols" <nanettechols@visi.com> wrote:

> I live in Minnesota AND Buckthorn is a very pernicious introduction. WE
> are trying to eradicate it because it is destroying the prairies.

Sea-buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) and buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) are
unrelated plants from different families (Eleagnaceae and Rhamnaceae,
respectively). AFAIK, there is no evidence that sea-buckthorn is invasive.

Be careful with the "invasive" label; common names are deceptive! Also, the
prairies are dying because they are no longer being burned, and the climate
is warmer and wetter than when the prairies were flourishing. Shrubs and
trees are more suited to the current climate and land use practices. So
don't blame buckthorn; blame the climate and our no-burn policy. I support
preserving some prairie, but it will be expensive and a prolonged and
eternal battle against the natural tendency for prairie to become forest
under current conditions.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com