permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sea-buckthorn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bill McDorman <bm@seedsave.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sea-buckthorn
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:17:23 -0700

I surprised to find Sea Buckthorn in every yard when I visited the Siberian
area of the Soviet Union in 1989.

The Russians called it "aplipika" and made it part of a national
self-reliance program. As I understood it, everyone in Siberia was given a
cutting and told to plant it in their "dacha" garden. If all else failed,
Siberians were told to juice the berries to make a survival drink which
contained all the protein and vitamins they would need until food systems
could be repaired.

__o
_'\<,_
Bill W. McDorman