permaculture - [permaculture] Fruit trees and swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: R Freeman <sunnysidesourdough@gmail.com>
  • To: "'permaculture-oceania'" <permaculture-oceania@lists.cat.org.au>, "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fruit trees and swales
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:00:20 +0800

Hi all,

In December (southern summer) our neighbour started a fire that destroyed 70
of our 4-year-old fruit trees (almost burned down our house too).

I am going to replace them, but this time I am thinking to put them along
swales (contour banks/ditches). We have a nice, sun-facing slope--the
countours run east-west.

The question I have is whether the the trees should go in the dug-out part
of the swales, uphill of the dug-out part, on the mounds, or downhill of the
mounds.

Any experience, opinions, or ideas gratefully accepted.

Robert Freeman
__o
_'\<,_