permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Map making using GPS

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Map making using GPS
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:32:25 EST

g'day darren,

Good to hear from you too.

Hope all is well. Wow, that GPS you have sounds real handy for land mapping
etc.

How much did it cost? Is Map Info a commercial package? Or does it come with
the GPS system? Does it work on a Macintosh?

How do you actually DO all those things? Point it at different spots and the
GPS somehow gives you coordinates where you are by triangulation? How does it
tell your elevation?

Like I said I'm a bit in awe of these things. If it seems too complex it
sits. I have a new digital camera I hardly used because I'm not exactly sure
how
to use all the controls! Probably take an experienced user just a few minutes
to show me how it works:)

All the best. Frank