permaculture - [permaculture] troubled bridge Re: "a bridge over troubled waters"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Kevin Topek <ktopek@houston.rr.com>, pci@permaculture-inst.org, Katherine Steele <ksteele@steelemoon.com>
  • Subject: [permaculture] troubled bridge Re: "a bridge over troubled waters"
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:57:22 -0800

LL and all,

Great job on your years of this list... ups and downs are predictable
patterns.

Not sure that this has been a case of "troubled waters" as much as it is a troubled "bridge"...

I don't really believe, anymore, that learning to "all get along" is an appropriate objective (or even natural). Learning how to not-get along, even strongly disagree with each other -is a much more appropriate task. I want to believe that we can figure out how to disagree and still maintain a civil communication decorum... especially to do business.

Designing and "building" communication protocols is among the most important task for getting us toward a sustainable future... learning how to disagree with each other and still maintain some gracefulness, learn from it and keep moving on!

I don't think that we need to start a new list every time someone gets rubbed the wrong way. I personally prefer a more direct approach to disagreement -as opposed to passive aggression -but that's me... I can take a punch -but I prefer not to -and although I used to very much enjoy it, these days I prefer that others don't start swinging at each other either...

Can't we all just learn to "not" get along -and it still be okay?!?

Larry Santoyo

Gang,

I'm gonna have to second Scotty's opinion here. Lawrence has busted his ass
putting this list and others together from scratch. He may be strident at
times, but aren't we all? Please forgive him his tresspasses and so to will
yours be allowed on this list. Besides, without dialectic there is no
democracy.

Kevin

Claude William Genest wrote:

Flames happen ! Inevitable. If Buddhist monks can get into street brawls with each other ( like the ones I read about in Thailand) then why should we be so perfect ?

I have to disagree with you Claude. I am on several lists that don't
flame each other and still manage to disagree without rancor. That
Monks brawl is not an excuse for us to brawl, quite the contrary.

It's how we deal with it that counts and I think we're dealing with it well.

I think that for those who have cut their subscription to the list we
have obviously not dealt well. While I enjoy debate and heated
discussion with those who have equally thick skin to mine I will miss
the contribution to the list by the more sensitive and sensible. The PC
principal of diversity applies here - a corral full of bulls is
ultimately unsustainable whether for beef or "bull-shit".

Anyways - People who can't handle flames are a bunch of...... Just kidding ! Hee!

Best Regards,

Claude William Genest

Thanks for your response,
Scott Pittman