permaculture - [permaculture] olive guild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] olive guild
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:22:21 -0800 (PST)

Strawberries are supposed to carry an olive disease, so wouldn't make a good
groundcover. Elaeagnus species would be good, as usual. If you have hot
summers with lots of light, olives can actually grow in the understory, as
under the black locust mentioned, which would only cast light shade.

I've been wondering about the best way to prune olives for harvesting. It
seems they would be best kept as hedges or living fences, even though they
are so beautiful as trees. Though many of the olives that fall to the ground
have larvae in them, I wonder if you could rake these up or spread a tarp on
top of them and then shake ripe olives off the tree for harvest. I noticed
this year that ripe olives cured faster and tasted better, and they fall off
the tree more easily, as well. Why do people like green olives?

Good luck,

Rain

Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new
and used cars.