permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Alcohol fuel, grazing, etc...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Will Carey <cure@rtinet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Alcohol fuel, grazing, etc...
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:29:13 -0800

Rob, all...

Since this series of threads started with a discussion about soil- building&
CO2, Grass-fed dairy, etc... I thought people would like to see this
analysis of grass-fed strategy and the complex issues it brings up.

Do we, as Permaculture designers, have the tools to do multi-criteria
analysis on strategies like this?

<http://www.bayjournal.com/article.cfm?article=2678>

An excerpt from the article...

-----
Whether the Bay would benefit if everyone switched to grass-based dairy
production, though, is a matter of debate.

If pastures are not carefully monitored, cows may wander into streams, or
consume too many legumes, such as clover or alfalfa, which fix nitrogen out
of the atmosphere. and release it in their wastes. ³If grazing isn¹t managed
well, it can be as bad for the environment, and maybe worse, than a
confinement operation,² Muller said.

While grazing operations produce less nutrients per cow and per acre, some
studies indicate that‹because of their low milk production‹they actually
generate more nutrients per unit of milk than traditional confined
operations. That means if everyone switched to grazing, nutrient pollution
may actually increase.

³On a local scale, grazing can be important [for water quality] if you are
simply looking at one watershed because it¹s basically a method of earning
your living off more land with less production,² said Rick Kohn, an
associate professor of animal and avian sciences at the University of
Maryland.
-----

Will from Oregon

on 1/31/06 09:00, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org at