permaculture - Re: [permaculture] using old carpet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: keithdj@mindspring.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] using old carpet
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:21:25 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

(Where I've had the problem of grasses (including bermuda grasses, crown
vetch has solved the problem. However, crown vetch can't solve the problem
unsupported. The use of old wire fencing which will allow the crown vetch to
get up in the air will do the trick.)

Upon recommending a vetch for her garden, a client planted Crown vetch. I
meant for her to plant an annual vetch not a perennial. Crown vetch has roots
that go a foot or more deep and is nearly impossible to kill. It tends to
strangle and pull down the other plants in the garden. Even comfrey cringes.

Only her persistent pruning of it keeps it marginally under control.

Yes, it's good for bees, and yes, it's great for erosion control on steep
banks. I would even consider it for orchard plantings, but use caution when
planting in zone 1 and 2 if you wish to avoid increased maintenance and
hassle.