permaculture - Re: [permaculture] reDesign/reBuild Guild (Zack D)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bill McDorman <bm@seedsave.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] reDesign/reBuild Guild (Zack D)
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:07:51 -0700

I did exactly this in 1980. The non-profit is called the Down Home Project.
It is still operating at 629 Phillips St., Missoula, MT 59802. It now
operates as the Missoula Urban Demonstration Project or MUD. Probably its
most successful component now is its tool library which serves the lower
income folks living on Missoula's North Side. You can reach its director
Rebecca here: mud@wildrockies.org

bill

on 12/6/05 3:04, elsa higby at exaptor7@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi Zack,
>
> An idea I have that could be implemented in any urban local and make use of
> such a Guild as you propose or perhaps be a show piece of the Guild is to
> create a 501-C3 that owns even one old heat hog of a house and has as it's
> mission to use this house as research on various technologies and systems
> designed for urban or suburban living. Ultimately, it could involve local
> universities, highschools as well as environmental and gardening groups
> becoming a training tool as well as a cost effective way to develop design
> templates for specific types of housing.
>
> Various templates for retrofit design could be created from the research
> projects applied to the house. Ultimately, it would be a creative resource
> with a focus to re-use existing housing to make it sustainable.
>
> Cheers, Elsa

__o
_'\<,_
Bill W. McDorman