permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Trees and CO2

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Trees and CO2
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:52:01 +0000 (UTC)

Genest, I think we need more specifics. A "hectare of trees" -- seedlings? old growth? species? a hectare of photosynthetic leaf area? or what?
Toby's calculations are a step in the direction of specificity.
But: tree species have different carbon sequestration rates, and trees have different sequestration rates at different times in their life cycle. A system which is *designed* to sequester carbon will do so more efficiently than, say, an old growth forest where the trees aren't actively growing new tissue so much as performing maintenance respiration.

Rob Scott
Urbana, IL