permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sweet stevia seeds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bill McDorman <bm@seedsave.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sweet stevia seeds
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:23:10 -0700

Johnny's Selected Seeds sells Stevia rebaudiana seeds, about 25 per packet.

You can mail order at:

Johnny's Selected Seeds
955 Benton Ave.
Winslow, ME 04901-2601

Following are their growing instructions:

bill

STEVIA Stevia rebaudiana

Culture
Recommended indoor planting method: Start seeds 6-8 weeks before last frost
date. Sow shallowly in a well-drained soil mix in flats at a temperature of
68-75ºF (20-24ºC). Transplant to 3² pots when seedlings are large enough to
handle. Do not over-water. For bushier plants, pinch back growing tips
every few weeks for the first 1-2 months after germination.

Outdoor planting: Stevia generally does not tolerate temperatures below 45ºF
(9ºC). After all danger of frost has passed, transplant outside 12² apart.
Stevia is also an ideal plant to grow in containers as a houseplant, or in
the greenhouse. For container growing, choose a pot that is at least 14²
across, and provide soil that is well-drained. Maintain even soil moisture,
and provide shade in extreme heat.

Light/Soil/Water Requirements

Stevia performs best in average, well-drained soil in full sun. Avoid
overuse of nitrogen-rich fertilizers, as they cause the plant to produce
large leaves with little flavor. Do not over-water, especially when being
grown as a container plant or when transplanting. In extreme southern areas
and when growing in containers, afternoon shade may be need.

Pest/Disease Problems
Carefully watch for any signs of insect damage to the leaf. Whiteflies and
leafhoppers may pose problems.

Harvest
Pick in the morning and before flowering occurs for highest sugar content.
Leaves may be harvested throughout the season once the plant has become
established, with the main harvest occurring in September or October. Fresh
or dried leaves are delicious in salads, sauces, and beverages. To dry, hang
small bunches of stems in a well-ventilated, dry area out of direct sun.
Dried leaves may be ground into powder for storage. Fresh leaves can be
used to make a liquid sweetener by steeping one teaspoonful of dried leaves
in one cup of boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
on 9/30/05 12:51 AM, Robyn Williamson at rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au
wrote:

> Dear Andrew
>
> Try www.savingourseed.org.
>
> We have collected the seed of Stevia rebaudiana over the past 3 years
> but have had no luck germinating it. Everyone I have spoken to says to
> take cuttings.
>
> Also I am interested in your contact for the army of seedballers in
> Greece.
>
> Thanks and best of luck,
> Robyn
>
> On Friday, September 30, 2005, at 02:00 am, Andrew wrote:
>
>> Could anyone tell me where I can get some sweet stevia seeds without
>> having to resort to purchasing from the internet.
>>
> CONTACT DETAILS:
>
> Robyn Williamson
> Permaculture Design Consultant, Urban Horticulturist
> Local Seed Network Coordinator
> NORTH WESTERN SYDNEY COMMUNITY SEED SAVERS
> mobile: 0409 151 435
> ph/fx: (612) 9629 3560
> email: rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au
> http://www.seedsavers.net