permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Seed saving question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Williamson <rz.williamson@optusnet.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Seed saving question
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:34:53 +1000

Dear Carrie,

I assume you are talking about Tetragonia tetragonioides? a.k.a. Malabar spinach and Warrigal greens.

Green or brown seeds are too immature, make sure the seeds have gone black before you collect them, black and kinda glossy (as opposed to still downy). Lift up the runner (gently) and you will find the black ones further down the stem from the green ones, you can see them more easily from the underside of the stem. They fall off easily at this stage. They also take quite a long time to germinate so be patient, my autumn sown seeds took 4 months on a heat bed. Might be quicker in spring. Don't squash them or you'll damage the embryo.

Best of luck.
Robyn