permaculture - Re: [permaculture] cats, mice, frogs, earwigs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] cats, mice, frogs, earwigs
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:35 EDT

Lisa,

There's probably no rule that says your cats, rats and frogs are going to be
anything like mine, but this has been my experience:

At first the yard cats brought home a lot of squirrels. Then the squirrels
became more crafty. Then the cats brought home a lot of birds. Then the birds
became more crafty. Now we have a yard full of birds at the feeder and cats
watching them who hardly ever manage to get one. I think the squirrels left
bother the neighbors.

We used to have a lot of moles. When the cats were lean and hungry they just
about exterminated them all. But now the cats have let the moles come back--
and I can't put out bait because the cats love the bait, and then they need a
course of vitamin K to keep from bleeding out.

We have always had lots and lots of little chameleon frogs. They must not
taste good because I've never seen a cat harm one of them. So now we have a
stable ecology of cats, birds, moles and frogs. Only the squirrels are
missing--
and if I lock the cats indoors it only takes them a day or two to come back
and
displace the birds at the feeder.

I hope this helps, but suspect it doesn't. One final tip: feed the cats
enough to keep them from going next door and trying to get adopted by another
household. But don't feed them so much they just lay around letting your mice
play
in the driveway.

Michael