permaculture - Re: [permaculture] CNN.com - High court OKs personal property seizures- Jun 23, 2005

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Robert Waldrop <rmwj@soonernet.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] CNN.com - High court OKs personal property seizures- Jun 23, 2005
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:51:13 -0400

Robert Waldrop wrote:

Our Dept of Ag guys are having a "showdown
meeting" soon with USDA to find out why there are
different standards in different states, and find
out how we can get approved to create our own
mobile poultry processing unit. They have said
that if we (or somebody) build one for Oklahoma,
they will provide a state inspector for it free of
charge, which would make the birds processed in
the MPU legal for sale anywhere in the state.
That seems to be the best outcome that we can
expect at this point, but dealing with these
regulatory folks is excrutiatingly slow.

IMHO in the beginning they had no idea what they
were getting into when they came down on us, and I
think the letter writing campaign that we
organized was very successful. I have had several
meetings with the responsible people at the state
Dept of Ag, and if we can get the MPU approved by
the USDA, they seem to think they can find grant
or loan money to finance the construction.

This is good news. I hope your Ag Dept is successful in geting the USDA to allow MPU's for Oklahoma.
This outcome would help set a prcedence and would help other producers and coops in other states do the same.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Lawrence