permaculture - Re: [permaculture] JAPANESE BEETLES

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] JAPANESE BEETLES
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:35:02 -0400

Carrie,

Are the four-o-clocks a trap or a repellant?

We have tons of tons of japanese beetles here in Maine. We've found Midwest Evening Primrose to be the best trap crop for us so far. Also Zinnias and Hollyhocks seem to attract them. As far as crops go, soybeans have been the most affected but we found an extremely pubescent variety that seems to repel them.

We just got a flock of chickens and look forward to developing ways to utilize them in the fight. We're planning to integrate pheromone traps into our chicken tractors for a start.

I'm also wondering about bringing the chickens into the garden when things mature and letting them forage, maybe shaking the plants first thing in the morning to get the sluggish beetles to fall to the ground where the chickens can eat them.

Good luck to all who have the misfortune of having this devastating pest and keep us posted on any more controls.

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts & Ecology
Otisfield, ME