permaculture - [permaculture] Jim Hightower on: CRUSHING SMALL BUSINESS (in New York)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Jim Hightower on: CRUSHING SMALL BUSINESS (in New York)
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:54:24 -0400

Jim Hightower on: CRUSHING SMALL BUSINESS (in New York)
http://www.jimhightower.com/air/read.asp?id=11668

CRUSHING SMALL BUSINESS

5/13/2005

Those "free market" ideologues who keep insisting that there's no such thing as a corporate class war being waged against the workaday people of our country –
might want to take a look at the Bronx Terminal Market in New York City for a classic example.

This market is free enterprise in action. Some two dozen very unique, independent merchants sell their foodstuffs here, drawing customers from as far away as Ohio.
If you're looking for Ghanaian smoked shrimp, hot Jamaican peppers, or Philippine sea moss, the Bronx market is your mother lode. These merchants are hard-working
folks who start their days in the wee hours, providing the largest clearinghouse of ethnic foods on the East Coast.

Jim Hightower
America's Number 1 Populist
http://www.jimhightower.com/

KGNU
Boulder Colorado
http://www.kgnu.org/index.html
*Mission statement*
We seek to stimulate, educate and entertain our audience, to reflect the diversity of the local and world community,
and to provide a channel for individuals, groups, issues and music that have been overlooked, suppressed or under-represented
by other media. We seek to expand the listening audience through the excellence of programming without compromising the
principles stated here.