permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Indigo source?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Indigo source?
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:14:43 -0700

On 5/9/05 8:53 PM, "Lisa in Oregon" <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com> wrote:

> as I recall indigo is tropical and not
> frost hardy, or maybe only to zone 9 or 10. Might double check on
> the shade tolerance too, I've seen references that it requires sun.

I grew indigo at 1300 feet in Oregon, which places it in Zone 7-8 (10
degrees F once a decade there). It never got below 22 F while I had it, and
it did very well. It was in nearly full sun, although the Bullocks in
northern Washington State are growing it in partial shade.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com