permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Indigo source?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa in Oregon <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Indigo source?
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:53:08 -0700 (PDT)

Pinetree has seeds (www.superseeds.com/herb_seeds.htm) and so does
Richters as I recall (www.richters.com, but not working right now).
But your original sources could be fine.

You might check hardiness - as I recall indigo is tropical and not
frost hardy, or maybe only to zone 9 or 10. Might double check on
the shade tolerance too, I've seen references that it requires sun.

Other N fixers to consider are bayberry and goumi... which some say
tolerate shade. Maybe not quite as useful for dye...

Lisa in Ashland Oregon