permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alternatives to maple syrup

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "michael snow" <msnow@mountainschool.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alternatives to maple syrup
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:41:15 -0400

Do you have birches? How about birch syrup? While maples make pretty damn
good syrup, you can boil birch sap, too. I think the conversion rate is
about 100 gallons sap to 1 gallon syrup. For maples it's 40:1, depending.

If it's of interest, we had a pretty small year here in Vershire, Vermont.
We had a short season (though we haven't taken the buckets down, you never
know...) We tapped more trees than usual (800 taps) and have made about 100
gallons. This is just a so so number.

Mike Snow