permaculture - Re: [permaculture] how to integrate others onto your land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martha Simmons <marthasimmons@iocnet.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] how to integrate others onto your land
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:50:34 -0500

Given our experience, I would tend to agree with Lawrence. Shortly after we purchased our land and began house renovations, we met a couple that seemed an answer to our dreams. The husband was a contractor/carpenter; the wife an accomplished organic gardener. We needed teachers/co-workers in both of those areas; they were looking for land. What could not be right about this? I acted (too) quickly and invited them into a barter arrangement: their labor for points toward X number of acres. It quickly became apparent that despite the logical appeal, there were plenty of hidden difficulties that morphed into irreconcilable differences. The "breakup" was extremely painful for all of us. It took awhile for us to repair the relationship. We are now acquaintances/friends, but the scar remains.

Doing something like this is akin to a marriage. It is probably impossible to know the betrothed too well before taking this kind of step. And I can tell you, it is very possible to act too quickly. FWIW, Martha Simmons.
"It's a peculiarity of modern technology that people anywhere in the world can sit back and watch in real time, like voyeurs, the life-and-death struggles of their fellow humans. The planet is growing smaller and its residents more interdependent by the day. We're fully aware that our planetary neighbors in southern Asia are desperately drawing upon the deepest reservoirs of fortitude and resilience that our troubled species has at its disposal.

What this means is that we're the supportive community. All of us. This catastrophe would at least have a silver lining if it moved the people of the United States and other nations toward a wiser, more genuinely cooperative international posture." -- Bob Herbert, New York Times, December 31, 2004