permaculture - Re: [permaculture] kudzu in a pot and sweet bush

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] kudzu in a pot and sweet bush
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:07:33 EST

"I was unable to thoroughly read all of the kudzu postings, but I was curious
how it does in a pot. Does anyone have any experience growing kudzu in a pot
indoors or in a greenhouse? I would like to grow one for basket weaving
purposes, but I don't want to worry about seeds that might escape."

Wendy--

It would help to know where you live.

If you call up your local ag extension service you could ask them if they
have experience with kudzu. It may be that in your area it is not a rampant
weed,
and can safely be grown in a small field.

The reason I mention this, it is space intensive. You need a lot of ground
area to get more vine than just for a couple of baskets. The other strategy,
if
they are less than reassuring about its nuisance status locally, would be to
harvest it before it sets seed, i.e. around the end of July probably.

If you plant one seedling in one peat pot, by the end of summer you will have
enough vine to make two or three thimbles. This is probably not where you
want to go.

Also, my experience has been that the vine is strong and supple while it's
green. Once it dries it can be brittle, so I would weave it green and then
sun
dry the basket. Use a tight weave. This is just guess work on my part--
anyone
actually having made kudzu baskets, please jump in.