permaculture - Re: [permaculture] toxicity of black locust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] toxicity of black locust
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:57:55 -0500 (EST)

Outside of toxicity, here in the Niagara peninsula near the northern limit
of commercial peach growing, on sandy soil black locust is very invasive,
spreading aggressively by seed and growing quickly.

Some merits: it's good for fence posts and it's a good honey plant though
I hear not every season. There is a cultiver "semperflorens" which was
selected in Europe and flowers over six weeks which is supposed to be good
for nectar.

Black locust seeds are toxic. There are lots of them.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada