permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Background on invasives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Background on invasives
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:31:08 EST

All--

I think Jamie may be onto something in his message that begins "Hello
everyone, I've not studied invasives/weeds/exotics etc but there are some
broad
points I'd like to make: the undoubted negative connotation of these words
suggest
they are used and applied by those with intentions regarding the land in
question or, more primordially, suggest an unconscious belief in the 'right'
of
humans to utilize the land, sea, rivers etc for their own needs."

Much of the earth that is accessible to us-- the part that has already been
transformed into real estate, has in fact already been degraded. We might as
well work with what we have to try to improve it.

We should proceed as intelligently as we can. After all, almost everywhere
it's still possible to ignorantly do something that will make matters worse.
So
a bit of education is in order. But there is a basic flaw in following the
premise to its extreme that any time we disturb the soil we are doing damage
the environment. We need to bend it toward our own purposes while still
saving
a portion of it for the fulfillment of its own purposes. Finding that balance
is thinking and working permaculturally. IMO.

Whatever its origin, the kudzu on my land today is not wanted. The tubers
are a yard deep and the old ones as big as my leg. I respect some of the
natural
environment, but not so much that I won't dig down and pull up these rascals
by hand. I need that land for other purposes.

Nature is all well and good-- in its place. :)