permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Eco X-mas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Carrie Shepard" <outlikeelijah@gbronline.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Eco X-mas
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:00:50 -0600

Deb wrote:
<<<
I'd prefer a new tradition- a time to give of oneself. A time to gather and
share, play games, laugh, cry, remember. And time to celebrate being free of
shopping, wrapping, opening, returning/exchanging, throwing away.

Don't confuse me with Scrooge. I just really resent all the time and energy
(consumption) associated with this 'holiday'.>>>>

Yes, I am right there with you on this one. I do like the lights and the
indoor greenery during this time when daylight is at a minimum, though.
Since reading a Cafecito Story, I've found that I can buy fairtrade coffee
through Oklahomafood.org. This coffee tastes so much better than any other
I've tried, so we're giving fairtrade coffee and homebaked goodies for
friends and family for gifts in re-usable cloth gift bags.

My husband signed us up to volunteer this past Thursday at a local mission
as it's the inbetween holiday times that they need the most help. We had a
great evening setting tables, serving food, cleaning up afterwards as a
family. A number of the people were genuinely appreciative and took the
time to thank my children personally. My 6 yr old has given some of his own
money to this mission, so it was really cool for him to go see how they
spend it. He really enjoyed the responsibility of carrying the food trays
and drinks to each table. At home, his sisters do more of that work as
they're older.

Now, I need some sort of permaculture literature to include in our bags!

Carrie
_