permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] soybean rust a new dread]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bill McDorman <bm@seedsave.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] soybean rust a new dread]
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:03:57 -0700

John Navazio, phd plant genetics, of the Organic Seed Alliance has been
teaching horizontal resistance to seed growers in the West for several
years. The Alliance is the organization formed after Abundant Life Seed
Foundation burned a couple of years ago. The focus now is on educating
organic and sustainable farmers about the seed breeding techniques needed to
survive pests and disease like soybean rust.

http://www.seedalliance.org/

A fascinating article about the power of this method can be found in the new
issue of Wired magazine. Coca farmers in Columbia have located and
propagated a Roundup-resistant strain of Coca.

Bill W. McDorman
Seeds Trust, High Altitude Gardens
bm@seedsave.org
http://www.seedstrust.com