permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] soybean rust a new dread] }|{ potato culture in blight-infested soils

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] soybean rust a new dread] }|{ potato culture in blight-infested soils
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:04:29 -0800

michael snow wrote:
I'm not sure what message this responds to, that is, what the concern is.
I'm new here, and don't want to step into a conversation I haven't followed
from the beginning. But here's a thought:
Breeding resistance. The potato anecdote reminds me of what is called
Horizontal Resistance, that is, breeding polygenic resistance in plants.
Such a program would expose a population to ALL pests, parasites, diseases,
etc that occurr locally or regionally, the inocculation roguing the
population in its own way. Horizontal resistance is accumulated using
recurrent mass selection: the surviving individuals are selected en masse
and improved up on in the next generation.
So, pick the beans that don't get rust.
see Return to Resistance, Roul A. Robinson. 1996: agAccess, Davis.

Michael:

Here's a followup from Bear in the PCPlantDB list: