permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Will Carey <cure@rtinet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Bamboo
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 10:22:35 -0800

on 11/2/04 5:45 AM, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org at
permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Timber bamboo, various eastern and western cedars and locust are valuable
> plants that could be
> fertilized with recycled municipal sewage and various types of livestock
> waste
> to produce robust growth
> for dependable harvest cycles.
>

> LL
> --
> L.F.London

Speaking of bamboo... Here's a good article on Bamboo as a Growth
Industry...

"Analysts value the global bamboo market at about $10 billion, with China
claiming about half, and they see it growing to $20 billion by 2015, led by
U.S. demand for paper."

<http://www.enn.com/today.html?id=290>

Also... Daphne Lewis and the late Simon Henderson did a lot of field
research on using Bamboo as a manure control device on farmsteads.... Their
research was coordinated with Washington state extension service....

They re-used the bamboo as a chopped silage. It is a perfect adaptation for
livestock operations where the nitrogen runoff can be recycled into a feed
crop.

There's supposed to be a book written on Daphne and Simon's research, but I
guess it's "in process." Daphne sent me this update a couple months ago.

> It is being coauthored by Dr Carol Miles of WSU. I finished my part 3
> years ago. Sigh. I am anxious, too. When the book is printed, it will
> be announced on my web site. It will be printed by WSU. How about
> checking back in a year?

I think Dr. Carol Miles is a good person and one of us... but I think we
really need this book!!! I still have a couple copies of their prototype
book, but it's all "proposal level" work from ten years ago. We need to
bona fide research as leverage for grant proposals, bank loans, etc...

<http://agsyst.wsu.edu/>

I'm not saying we should bombard her with emails, but... Maybe if somebody
in the Portland area... Toby?.... could drop by her research site and chat
her up and use some friendly persuasion?

Will

  • [permaculture] Re: Bamboo, Will Carey, 11/02/2004