permaculture - [permaculture] Way of life

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bill McDorman <bm@seedsave.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Way of life
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:24:53 -0600

New York City, energy efficient or not, represents a dense urban landscape
which cannot grow much of its own food without costly modifications.
Comparing its sustainable merits to rural areas doesn't really interest me.
What does interest me is the fact that New York City represents a great
permaculture opportunity. Food consumption edge, if you will. The area
around New York City should respond by creating a correspondingly dense (but
sustainable) concentration of small organic farms. In my opinion, the
relationship, the opportunity between urban and rural is what
permaculturists should be discussing first.

Those in the rural areas shouldn't worry about urban or rural biases, real
or imagined. They should be trying to figure out how to harvest dollars
selling fresh food and herbs to occupants of the steel and glass forest.

Permaculturists in the city should be creating food distribution systems
that could easily be linked to regional permaculture production networks.
This will not be as difficult now that we live in a time of rising oil
prices and nearly ubiquitous internet access.

Example: The Idaho Organic Network now encourages its network of organic
farmers to email each week its projected available fresh produce for the
next week. We are starting a food buying club that will post a compilation
of this list on our web site each week. Individual, family, caterer and
restaurant members of our club will be able to log on to a web site and
order from this list for pick up at our club warehouse the following week.
A delivery option will be available for those who want to pay extra.

Result: A rather efficient network connecting growers directly with
consumers.

bill

Bill W. McDorman
Seeds Trust, High Altitude Gardens